Wearing expensive watches are becoming an indispensible part of individuals who are meticulous about the brand that their wardrobe projects. In fact, some of the notable celebrities and public figures are wearing luxurious timepieces that would match their purported financial states.
A watch could become expensive when there are additional classy ornaments encrusted on it. Another factor that would make a watch expensive is its complicated mechanism make-up. For instance, some watches are equipped with a tourbillon that counters the effects of gravity.
Below are ten of the most expensive watches sold across the globe:
10. Cartier Secret Watch ($2.7 million). This watch with phoenix decor is made from 18-carat white gold that is plated with rhodium. Despite featuring a 3.5-carat portrait cut diamond, what makes it expensive is that the watch covering is made up of more than 3,000 brilliant-cut diamonds
9. Patek Philippe 1953 Model ($2.8 million). This Heures Universelles Watch is made from 18-carat yellow gold, featuring a polychrome and an enamel dial that resembles the continent of the North America.
8. Piaget Emperador Temple Watch ($3.3 million). This unique watch contains gems and diamonds that encrusted all over. The watch has the design that is similar to a pyramid. Its design allows the watch to open twice: the first opening over a mother-of-pearl and diamond face, and the other with a larger face containing tourbillon and power indicator. All of this facilitates hundreds of perfectly cut diamonds that are fitted into the watch.
7. Patek Philippe 1928 Watch ($3.6 million). This single-button chronograph watch was sold in a 2011 auction. Its luxury owes it to a 34mm cushion-shaped button, which is made from 18-carat white gold. Another interesting feature of this watch is the usage of Breguet numbers.
6. Patek Philippe 1939 Platinum Watch ($4 million). This might be the only item that was created, and had been sold for $4 million in an auction some time in 2002. It winds itself, telling the users the time from different parts of the globe.
5. Louis Moinet Meteoris Watch ($4.5 million). Some people are familiar with the history attached to this watch. Who would have thought that the tale of Moinet and Luc Labenne will inspire the creation of four tourbillon watches worth over $4.5 million each?
4. Breguet & Fils 2667 Precision Watch ($4.6 million). This rare watch was first sold in 1814 for only 5,000 francs. It is made up of 19-carat gold and features two movements. Presently, it was auctioned for almost $4.7 million.
3. Patek Philippe Reference 1527 Watch ($5 million). This seemingly simple-to-wear watch was owned by the Stern family, who were the owners of Patek Philippe. Its rounded appearance features curve contours that when worn, is perfectly snug on the wrist. It is a very complicated watch because it features a silver dial, perpetual calendar and gold Arabic numerals, which are all are made of 18-karat gold.
2. Patek Phillippe Henry Graves Pocket Watch ($11 million). This watch was originally made for an American banker named Henry Graves. This 18-carat gold watch houses over 900 parts, which took five years to be completed. Talk about an extensive project.
1. Chopard 201 ($25 million). This is the watch that simply best represents luxury. This 201-karat watch has been around the mid-19th century. What’s interesting is that it looks more like a jewelry than a timepiece.